I talk about the benefit of jojoba oil on skin and jojoba oil uses quite a bit on this blog. It is almost always mentioned in my lists on how to improve your skin care with natural ingredients! So, I thought it was time to dedicate an entire post to this wonderful natural skin care ingredient and list all the ways jojoba oil benefits our natural beauty regimes!
If you are ready to kick your natural skin care game up a notch, start reading the guide for the benefit of jojoba oil on skin!
What is Jojoba Oil?
Jojoba is a liquid wax that closely resembles the natural oils of the skin (sebum). Jojoba oil is the liquid produced in the seed of the Simmondsia chinensis (Jojoba) plant, a shrub, which is native to southern Arizona, southern California, and northwestern Mexico. Native Americans extracted the oil from jojoba seeds to treat sores and wounds. Jojoba is best known for its moisturizing properties without feeling greasy. It also helps the production of the acid mantle, balancing the pH that protects skin from harmful bacteria. Jojoba oil is also a great carrier oil which means it is an excellent base for essential oil recipes.
What is the Benefit of Jojoba Oil on Skin?
Using Jojoba Oil on skin is beneficial for the following reasons:
- It has similar characteristics to the sebum that our skin creates naturally, so it is an excellent moisturizer. It will balance the moisture in your skin without making it greasy and without upsetting the natural balance.
- Since Jojoba Oil resembles the natural sebum our skin produces using it will not clog pores
- Jojoba oil has antibacterial properties which will help reduce acne
- Jojoba Oil is full of antioxidants & vitamins that our skin needs to be healthy and reduce wrinkles.
- Jojoba oil will repair the skin barrier.
- Jojoba oil is an anti-inflammatory oil, which makes it great to treat acne or inflammation of the skin.
What Can Jojoba Oil be Used On the Skin For?
- As a moisturizer, either on its own, or mixed with other ingredients. (My favourite thing to mix Jojoba Oil with is a bit of Aloe Vera for a super soothing face moisturizer that will reduce redness and acne. Read more about that here. )
- Jojoba Oil can be used as a cleanser by applying the oil to dry skin, rubbing it in and then washing it away with a warm washcloth. Oil cleansing is my favourite method of skin cleansing, and it is on my list to write more about!
- It can also be used as a spot treatment since it has so many soothing, antioxidant properties.
- Jojoba Oil can be used as a carrier oil to dilute essential oils since it is gentle enough to be applied to skin or hair undiluted.
- On sunburns to help heal & soothe the skin.
- A fantastic massage oil
- Lip balm. A few drops goes a LONG way!
Everyone loves an infographic, so heres one on the Benefit of Jojoba Oil on Skin!
Jojoba Oil Benefits For Acne
Yes! One of the main jojoba oil benefits is that is reduces acne! This is the reason I started using it and I am happy to report it definitely works. The reason it works is because Jojoba oil is the closest oil to the sebum our skin naturally produces, so it is easily absorbed, doesn’t clog pores and since your skin is super moisturized as a result of using it, it doesn’t overproduce oil, which is awesome. So really, it reduces acne by reducing oily skin. Win Win. Jojoba oil is also rich in iodine, which fights harmful bacteria growth that leads to breakouts.
In a german study, 54% of respondents reported reduced skin lesions after 6 weeks of using Jojoba oil. Thats a great result for those with acne, especially since jojoba oil is natural & safe to use.
Jojoba Oil for Face Moisturizer
Being an excellent, perhaps even the best, moisturizer is the top benefit of jojoba oil on the skin. Quick story, ene of my girlfriends has awesome skin and I asked her about her skin care routine. Not surprisingly her skincare routine is super simple, but I was surprised when she said that Jojoba oil is the only product she uses to moisturize her face. I actually asked her once more just to confirm! It makes lots of sense though as Jojoba Oil is extremely nutrient dense and a natural anti inflammatory it is an excellent face moisturizer. This is when I first tried jojoba oil on my skin. I started with only adding a few drops of Jojoba Oil to my normal face moisturizer, but over 6 months or so I transitioned to only using Jojoba Oil morning and night and my skin just kept getting better and better.
Treat Eczema Naturally with Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil keeps your oil levels balanced and is a natural healer. That makes it a strong natural treatment for eczema, plus its well suited for other dry-skin conditions such as seborrheic eczema or dermatitis.
Jojoba oil is an emollient — meaning it moisturizes our skin and prevents irritations, or scaly and rough patches. A loss of water in the upper layer of the skin causes dry skin. Jojoba oil works by forming an oily layer on the top of the skin that traps water in the skin. It works on your face, neck, hands, feet and hair; you can use it anywhere on your body because it’s completely natural and contains no chemicals that lead to an allergic reaction.
Benefits of Jojoba Oil For Wrinkles
Yup, a benefit of jojoba oil for skin is that it prevents wrinkles! Our sebaceous glands are microscopic glands in our skin that secrete an oily or waxy matter called sebum and as we age our sebaceous glands produce less sebum, which is why we get dry skin. Dry skin loses its elasticity which leads to sagging & wrinkles.
Jojoba Oil plays the role of sebum and moisturizes our skin and hair when our body stops doing it naturally. Studies have shown that Jojoba Oil is high in antioxidants which is also great for your skin. The antioxidants present in jojoba oil also soothe fine lines, wrinkles and naturally slow down other signs of aging.
Jojoba Oil Contains Vitamin E
Vitamin E is an awesome ingredient for your skin & hair because it is both a nutrient and antioxidant. Therefore, another benefit of jojoba oil on skin is that it improves rough skin texture, helps hydrate, reduce brown spots, and prevent wrinkles. It can also help reduce free radical damage which could help prevent skin cancer. It can also help thicken your hair! Jojoba oil for hair is definitely recommended.
One study suggests that vitamin E, when combined with other antioxidants, can help protect your skin from sun damage. Jojoba oil contains both, which makes it an excellent oil for natural sun protection and also for healing sunburn. The vitamin E present in Jojoba oil can restore the moisture to the skin that sun damage depletes, along with promoting the healing of the damaged skin.
How to Choose a Jojoba Oil to Use?
In order to get the maximum benefit of jojoba oil on skin make sure to look for the following:
- 100% Pure Ingredients
- Dark Glass bottle to help oil stay fresh for longer and reduce oxidation
- Cold pressed to keep integrity of ingredients
Another thing I love about using Jojoba Oil is that its really not that expensive, especially compared to a lot of the face oils in Sephora or fancy face moisturizers. I use an organic one that I buy from amazon. This is the one I use.