A lot of store bought versions of granola are packed with sugar or cheap fillers, but this recipe for home made healthy granola is beyond easy, only uses natural sugar and you can control how much goes in, plus you can also use organic ingredients if you prefer! It stores well, so you can make a batch.
My favourite way to eat this recipe is by cutting up fresh fruit for breakfast or lunch and then sprinkling a healthy dose of granola over it to give the fruit salad more fibre & substance to see me through until the next meal. It can also be eaten just like normal cereal with your favourite milk or yogurt (I prefer to substitute dairy free almond or coconut milk instead of the dairy version which always seems to make me break out). My FAVOURITE brand of dairy free ‘milks’ is Rude Health – Its a natural food brand in the UK that only uses natural ingredients, their tag line is only ingredients are what you would find in your kitchen. Love em 😉
I don’t know about you, but I love knowing what I am putting into my body, because as I’ve talked about a lot on this site, some of the ingredients companies sneak into their products are surprising and sometimes even surprisingly bad for your health.
Ok, enough chit chat, here is the recipe for Healthy Granola!
- 4 tbsp coconut oil (melted)
- 2 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- sprinkle of salt
- 300g rolled oats
- 50g sunflower seed
- 4 tbsp sesame seeds
- 100g cashews
- 100g flaked almond
- 100g dried berries (find them in the baking aisle)
- 100g coconut flakes or desiccated coconut
Notes on the ingredients:
This recipe is super flexible – feel free to sub in what you have in your cupboard. In my experience any nuts/seeds/dried work well in this recipe! This my favourite combo, but modify it to your palette.
- Heat oven to 150C/fan 130C/gas
- Mix the oil, honey and vanilla in a measuring cup. Mix all the dry ingredients except the dried fruit and coconut in/on the baking pan, this is because the fruit and coconut cooks quicker so we don’t want it to burn.
- Bake for 10 mins, then give everything a good stir and mix in the coconut and dried fruit. Bake for 10-15 mins more. Remove and scrape onto a flat tray to cool. Keep an eye on the last few minutes, this can burn quick.
- Serve with coconut milk and fresh fruit for a delicious light meal. The granola can be stored in an airtight container for up to a month.
The fatty acids (Caprylic and Lauric) in coconut oil reduce inflammation internally and externally, it also moisturizes which makes coconut oil a great ingredient for all types of skin conditions. In addition, the antimicrobial properties balance out the candida or fungal sources that can cause many skin conditions, which is great! Nuts and seeds contain healthful mono- and polyunsaturated fats, this is good because these fats are essential to health by managing inflammation and maintaining the normal structure of every cell in our bodies and will help give you that beautiful skin glow.
Eat this yummy healthy granola knowing its good for you 🙂 How did it turn out for you?