I’m always looking for ways to sneak in extra nutrients, because we know that healthy, beautiful skin starts on the inside. Todays feature lunch is a super tasty & healthy fruit salad recipe of Orange & Papaya topped with healthy granola. (works well as a breakfast too!)
Heres a breakdown of the Health Benefits of the ingredients:
- High In Fiber – Papaya is a great source of dietary fiber (1). This nutrient absorbs toxins in the colon that can cause cancer and eliminates them from the body through bowel movement. Due to its rich fiber content, papaya aids digestion which is especially relevant because it that gives you a beautiful glow to your skin.
- Rich In Vitamins And Minerals – Papaya contains abundant amounts of vitamin C, a potent antioxidant (2).
- The papain enzyme in papaya has skin-cleansing properties that help get rid of clogged pores. This helps prevent acne and pimples. In addition, the exfoliating effect of papaya removes dead skin cells to help unclog pores.
- Papaya made the ‘Clean 15’ list of fruits & veg that are least contaminated with pesticides. See the full list here.
- An orange contains more than 100 percent of the recommended intake of vitamin C. Oranges are also significant sources of vitamins A and B1, folate, potassium, calcium and dietary fiber.
- According to Dr. Balch, the vitamin A found in oranges and other citrus fruits may help strengthen the protective outer layers of the skin. This may help reduce acne breakouts, speed the healing of wounds and prevent scarring.(3)
- In studies vitamin C has been shown to increase collagen production which repairs damaged skin & reduces wrinkles. (4)
Healthy Fruit Salad Recipe
- One Orange
- One small papaya (or half of a large one)
- Granola of your choice for topping (I used my Homemade Healthy Granola Recipe)
- Splash of Coconut Balsamic Vinegar
- Peel the orange, separate into pieces and throw in a bowl.
- Peel the Papaya (i use a normal vegetable peeler), then cut it in half and remove the black seeds with a spoon. (I’m not sure if you can do anything else with these, so I throw them out…let me know if you know about other things they are useful for!)
- Cut the papaya into bitesize pieces and put in bowl
- Splash a small bit of coconut balsamic vinegar over the fruit (this is totally optional, but it gives such an awesome extra kick of flavour. I used this one from Evoolution)
- Top with granola (I use a couple heaping table spoons to give the salad a nice crunch)
Done! Thats a five minute lunch totally full of healthy nutrients for glowing skin. Have you tried it yet?